Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Stephen King's IT (1990 Mini-Series Version) Review





'Stephen King's IT' first aired as a two night mini-series on ABC back in 1990 to strong ratings and above average to positive critical notice. This series is 27 years old now and in those many years (99% of my entire lifetime) the mini-series has garnered a huge fan base from both fans of the book and just horror enthusiasts in general. Tim Curry by far shares the majority of the praise for this show and even after all this time, I feel he still deserves that praise as he's the best thing about it. But now, I'm afraid I have to shatter your nostalgia bubble: 'IT' 1990 version is really not good, in fact it's pretty weak in contrast to its source material and modern television today. While many would say it's a sign of the times, let's not forget that 'Twin Peaks' came out on the same channel and in the exact same year of 1990 and it holds up. So if we can't place the blame on the television standards of the time, then what is it exactly?




It's the second half involving the Loser's Club as adults returning to Derry to finish IT off, plain and simple. The first half isn't anything spectacular either and it contains its own cringe-worthy cheesy dialogue and special effects but what keeps this first part so engaging is the child actors and their above-average performances. Interviews with director Tommy Lee Wallace shows him having his own distaste for the film and even Curry himself recently came out against certain aspects falter and it all seems like the story was simply too much for Wallace and the crew. Having to make a mini-series is no picnic and requires a lot of work. I'm not saying Wallace wasn't up to the task (the man helped make the 'Halloween' franchise after all) but you can see his disinterest in the overall project in the second half. The story goes full off the rails and we get some very bad acting, even from vets like John Ritter and Olivia Hussey and one of the worst climaxes to a horror story I've seen in a while. It reaches B-Movie levels and by that time you've simply stopped caring.




So is everything I remember about 'IT' completely destroyed? No, not at all and really I don't mean to be so dramatic about it. I simply see it with older eyes now, and can't forgive the many holes and problems this adaptation brings. I still love the kid segments and overall the first half of the special as a whole. They're just as relatable and likeable as they are in the novel (I myself would have likely started a Loser's Club as a kid) and Tim Curry gives one of his best performances in his career, which he really didn't have to do. Curry is an amazing actor because no matter the material, he will give his very best much like the equally underrated Brad Dourif. He could have easily breezed through 'IT' and taken the money, but you can see in both the special and even today that he was very glad to have done it even if he has his criticisms. And that's overall what I would say as well about 'IT': it's got a lot of problems that I was less willing to accept this second time around but it's no less entertaining and I'm glad I went back and watched it.




I just think most people who re watch 'IT' are likely to find it as disappointing as myself, especially with the upcoming adaptation showing some strong early reviews. As far as Stephen King movies, it's far down the bar and it's not as good as you remember but for those new to the novel or just haven't seen it in a while, check it out. Just keep your expectations a little low.



Oh, and try not to laugh at this ridiculous thing like I did.




(C-)

No comments:

Post a Comment