Friday, January 3, 2020

The Best Horror Movies of 2019






Another year, another top list. 2019 wasn't what most would call the best in terms of movies, with some of the most anticipated ranging from mediocre to disappointing. However, every year has their gems and while I wasn't able to see them all, I'll do my best and pick the top horror films of the past year that I consider great. I must please advise this again that I have not seen every horror film this year, so if ones don't show up here it doesn't mean they weren't worthy of the list. With all that out of the way, please enjoy my totally not generic best of 2019 horror movies list.



Honorable Mention(s): 




The Addams Family


Not what most would call traditional horror, so putting it on this list was a bit tough for me. Still, it's a great family film that I would highly recommend.





Brightburn


While 'Brightburn' was a movie I did enjoy more than I expected to, it wasn't up to the higher standards of the list. I recommend a rental except for those who are squeamish as the film has a surprisingly high amount of gore and horror elements that may turn you off.






And now onto our top list starting with number 8...





Midsommar


The most divisive entry on this list, 'Midsommar' is a hard sell for most moviegoers and I won't deny that. For those who give it a chance however, I feel that even if you don't enjoy it as much as I did you'll still have experienced something different and unique which is sadly becoming an uncommon thing in film these days. The mixed feelings are why I feel it fits here at the bottom, but don't get me wrong I thoroughly enjoyed 'Midsommar' for its bizarre and twisty premise, creepy atmosphere, and gorgeous cinematography. Give it a chance at the very least.




The Dead Don't Die


Okay I promise this will be my last arthouse horror film on the list. 'The Dead Don't Die' is definitely an easier watch than 'Midsommar' but it's wacky & irreverent nature will throw most for a loop. In some ways, the film is a bit misleading which in turn leads to many disappointed viewers but after watching the film a second time, I feel like I appreciate it more now. A lot of the movie makes no sense or seems to have no connection to the story at hand but even then I'm still glued to the screen, wondering just what's coming next. This is also hands down my favorite performance by Adam Driver so far and shows that this guy needs to do more comedy. He & Bill Murray play off each other so well that I wish I could see these characters in another story someday.




Us


While looking back at 'Us' now, it was more than a bit over hyped when it first came out. Still, it is a solid horror film with great visuals and a lot of memorable moments that'll stick with you. I just wouldn't be going in with quite the expectations that I had or you'll probably end up disappointed or like my friend just flat out hating it.




Child's Play (Remake)


This movie had everything going against it from the beginning. No Don Mancini, no Brad Dourif, and made outside the current Universal series should have rendered the 2019 'Child's Play' remake dead on arrival. How wrong I was, because this was a fantastic take on the original story that changes enough elements to stand on its own, while still honoring what came before. Sure, it's not perfect but even as a rabid fan of Chucky I'm not going to lie and say the series as a whole is, but what a nice surprise to have this film as a companion piece. Recommended highly for fans.




Crawl


Another surprise hit? Yes indeed. 'Crawl' was barely on my radar when I first saw the trailer and going in, I thought I'd just have some good dumb fun with a killer alligator flick. And yes I did get that, but what I didn't expect was to be so well done. It's rare when a B-Movie plot can have an A quality production to it and while not on par with something like 'Jaws', 'Crawl' managed to have a well written and tense nature thriller with characters you genuinely care for and some great suspense and gore thrown in. Alexandre Aja has been out of commission for a while now, but with 'Crawl' let's hope he gets back into the game soon.



Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark


With Guillermo Del Toro producing, you can't really lose. Based upon the children's book series, this film takes the monsters from said books and brings them to life with amazing accuracy. The makeup and special effects are the film's highlight and probably the best horror movie effects this year. The story is a little simple compared to others on this list, but the film brought these stories to life so well and for a PG-13 film aimed at teens, it doesn't hold back on some gruesome stuff. Highly recommended.



Doctor Sleep


Mike Flanagan always delivers, and 'Doctor Sleep' is no different. He had the impossible task of making both fans of Stephen King & the author himself happy with this adaptation and while the end results change a lot of the source novel's material, this is still another hit from the director and one that I feel will make any King fan smile. The casting is very good, with my new favorite King villain Rose the Hat played by Rebecca Ferguson being the stand out along with some great look-a-like actors stepping into previous roles from 'The Shining'. I recommend waiting a bit more for this one so you can check out the upcoming director's cut to get the full experience.




Ready or Not


Comedy or satire in horror is not uncommon, but rarely done well which is what makes 'Ready or Not' stand out. The film's dark humor mixed with gruesome imagery harkens back to horror of the 1980's with some modern politics and themes that don't bash you over the head while watching. Samara Weaving is becoming one of the better modern scream queens of horror and is the highlight. Watching her outsmart and beat the shit out of all these people is fun, gruesome, and hilarious. The film's ending is also so bat shit insane that you'll do a double take and caps off a wickedly fun film.




And that's my favorites of 2019 folks. Let's hope 2020 is as good or better, though if you read my recent review of 'The Grudge' we might be sadly waiting for a while. Enjoy the new year folks and thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment