Tuesday, September 6, 2016

MORGAN (Quickie)


'Morgan' is directed by Luke Scott and stars Kate Mara, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and Brian Cox. The story stars a character named..well Morgan, a genetically enhanced young girl who is kept in a top secret facility within the woods. A representative of the company (Mara) arrives to initiate Morgan's termination due to her being too dangerous, something the titular character doesn't take very kindly and proceeds to murder all the staff in an effort to escape her prison.

Director Luke Scott is the son of Ridley Scott (Alien, Blade Runner) and he has shown some big strengths here, unfortunately he and the film are let down by a bland script that wastes its own potential. The cast here do their jobs well enough, however they do seem quite interchangeable with Paul Giamatti's role being little more than a cameo. I never understood why you would hire such high talent for such small roles but hey, I didn't make it. The film is also a slog to sit through despite a relatively short running time, it feels too focused on holding on shots as long as possible and the environment around Morgan and her captors when they should be focusing on the characters.

One thing I can say that is a huge positive with 'Morgan' however is that while the film seems more preoccupied with nature footage than its plot, at least the cinematography on hand is beautiful and well done. I love looking at the lake and the mountains during the film, but I came to see a gritty sci-fi horror flick, not a documentary about the forest.

Overall, I reduced the size of this review mainly because I just couldn't find anything to really talk about. 'Morgan' is forgettable, from the moment you get out of your seat and trust me you'll never look back. However, the film is also not terrible either, I really don't know what the deal was. I don't hate the film, but I definitely will not remember it, nor will I even consider a RedBox rental in the near future. It's just a bland buffet of 'Meh' but here's hoping for a great career for Luke Scott, as the boy's got visual talent and knows what he's doing. He just needs a better script to work with.





No comments:

Post a Comment