Friday, October 13, 2017

SAW Week: Saw V (2008)



I have to be honest, I had watched this film last week in order to review it this week but forgot so much by the time I sat down in front of my computer, I had to rewatch it tonight to remember most of it. 'SAW V' really is that unmemorable, but strangely it's not as bad as part four as it at least attempts to clean up the story and not leave us scratching our heads. While it didn't really work as well as it thinks (seriously, this series has really messed up continuity) it does give us a lot more of Tobin Bell as Jigsaw and a cat and mouse chase between Detective Strahm and Hoffman. For those not in the know, Detective Hoffman has been revealed as Jigsaw's new apprentice who continues to carry on his work. However, Hoffman is more interested in simply killing his victims and covering his tracks than helping them, with his collegue Strahm hot on his trail. Oh, and another elaborate game takes place with a set of victims.

That last sentence is really the major flaw of 'Saw V' and I'm left wondering just how the producers/writers/director manage to make a test/trap room scenario pointless in a 'Saw' film? Really, I think jumping between the game participants and the cops tracking down Hoffman mixed with Jigsaw flashbacks had me wondering what the point of the game was in the first place? They could have stuck to the flashbacks and the cop chasing and then with 'Saw VI' show off another elaborate game but here it stops the movie dead in its tracks just for a blood and guts quota. This is what truly makes 'Saw V' the worst film in the series but it's not my least favorite. As stated before, 'Saw IV' is my least watched entry because it has all the elements of a 'Saw' film and fails. 'Saw V' still has interesting aspects to it such as the cops and Jigsaw stories. It's just a bad film as far as 'Saw' goes due to the traps feeling like a third wheel rather than part of the story.


( D - )

No comments:

Post a Comment